KMPG's megatrends list comes from a comprehensive report entitled Expect the Unexpected: Building Business Value in a Changing World. This was released at the KPMG's global forum on "Business Perspective on Sustainable Growth: Preparing for Rio+20." KPMG hosted this in New York City in February 2012 in cooperation with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), United Nations Global Compact (UNGC) and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD). Speakers included Ban Ki-moon, UN Secretary-General, politicians such as former U.S. President Bill Clinton and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg, and 50 senior business leaders from corporations such as KPMG International, Alstom, the European Climate Action Commission, General Motors, International Finance Corporation, Novozymes, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Philips Electronics North America, Tetra Pak, and Unilever.
|New York City Mayor|
addresses KPMG's global forum
on "Business Perspective on
Preparing for Rio+20
Outcomes from this global summit will be incorporated into the business perspectives shared at the upcoming June 2012 U.N. Rio+20 Sustainable Development Conference. According to an April 2012 article in The Guardian two issues that emerged from the KPMG conference:
- "Companies will increasingly need to factor in the cost of environmental impacts on their balance sheets as governments respond to the many systemic pressures they come under." ... Governments and business need to come to a consensus that "a co-ordinated approach holds the key to success."
- From KPMG's business perspective "all the signs from the upcoming Rio +20 conference are that the door is firmly bolted and the key is nowhere in sight."
- Climate Change
- Energy & Fuel
- Material Resource Scarcity
- Water Scarcity
- Population Growth
- Food Security
- Ecosystem Decline
- Price Increases and Volatility
- New Regulations
- Physical and Weather Impacts
- Changes in Consumer Preferences
- Resource Constraints on Production
- Reputation and Brand
- Innovation and Learning
- New Products, Services, Markets
- Cost Reduction
- Access to Capital"
Expect the Unexpected: Building Business Value in a Changing World, KPMG International Cooperative, 2012.
"Sustainability "Megaforces" Impact on Business Will Accelerate, finds KPMG," KPMG Press Release, 14 February 2012.
Confino, Jo. "The megatrends companies must face to meet sustainability challenges," The Sustainability Business Blog, The Guardian, 19 April 2012.