On 23 April 2012 the Organic Trade Association (OTA) announced that the organic food sector continued to expand in 2011. Total sales rose to US$31.5 billion in 2011 (US$29.22 billion in organic food, US$2.2 billion in non-food organic sales).
Some 2011 organic food sector statistics:
- the organic food sector grew by $2.5 billion (9.4%) in 2011
- the organic fruit and vegetable category contributed close to 50% of new dollars
- the fastest growing sector was meat, fish and poultry (13% increase over 2011)
- meat, fish, and poultry is still the smallest of the eight organic food categories
- organic food sales account for 4.2% of all U.S. food sales, up from 4 percent in 2010.
For more see:
Meyer, Bob. "Organic Continues to Gain Popularity," Brownfield Ag News, 23 April 2012.
"Consumer-driven U.S. organic market surpasses $31 billion in 2011," Organic Trade Association Press, Release, 23 April 2011.