Facebook Twitter Google RSS

Apr 25, 2012

Pilot Haiti Land Tenure Program Receives US$27M IDB Grant

On 25 April 2012 the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) announced it had approved a US$27 million grant to improve land tenure in Haiti.  This is to fund a pilot program that will work to document land titles in rural northern and southern Haiti.

In Haiti, land tenure issues are an important element in generating greater agricultural productivity.  Haitian land reform statistics include:  
  • Approximately 60% of the Haitian population lives in rural areas 
  • The average land parcel size is 1.7 hectares (4.2 acres)
  • Soil quality is poor
  • Approximately 66% of 1.5 million rural parcels have no property title
  • Lack of land tenure limits rural incomes due to limited access to credit
  • Land tenure issues impede conservation efforts
  • Less than 5% of Haiti's land administration system is registered and the remaining 95% lacks geo-references.
The IDB pilot program will begin in:
  • the Grand Riviere du Nord watershed in the north 
  • the Ravine du Sud and Cavaillon watersheds in the south
The program efforts will concentrate on registering parcels and identifying owners so that land titles can be issued by local authorities.  It will also provided better technology tools to local authorities at the Finance Ministry and the National Cadastre Office so that they can register land titles.  The program will be under the authority of the Executive Secretariat of the Interministerial Committee for Territorial Planning (CIAT), a body of the Prime Minister’s Office responsible for national land use policies.  CIAT is also receiving related technical assistance from the World Bank.

This pilot is part of IDB's ongoing aid to Haiti that includes $519 million in grants since 2010 to support: agriculture, education, energy, transport, water and sanitation and private sector development.

About Margaret


CEO and Curator (The Food Museum) | Managing Director and Chief Editor (GR2 Global LLC) | Educator (UCLA PhD) | Researching and writing on global food issues, nutrition and health, sustainability, history (preservation), conservation (natural resources), and design.
View all posts by Margaret →

.

GR2's Pinterest Shareboard "Global View - Spectacular Spaces, Renewal Spaces"

Copyrights

©2009-2014 GR2 Global LLC

All photos used for general educational purposes and authors/owners given credit. Please send an email to info@gr2global.com to discuss any content or copyright issues.