Facebook Twitter Google RSS

Apr 10, 2013

Growth 20-25% Expected in India Sugar Sector Following Regulation

India recently deregulated its sugar industry and FandBNews.com is reporting that companies involved in this sector estimate that the change may result in 20-25% annual growth. The reasons: 1) the industry can now sell sugar based on business interests; and 2) the sugar levy (tax) has been removed.

According to Abinash Verma, Director-General, Indian Sugar Mills Association (ISMA), sugar millers can now use new found liquidity to "ensure better and timely payment of cane price to farmers as also assure better quality sugar, at reasonable prices on a sustained basis, to the consumers.”

Other new policies under review by the Food Ministry and the states: cane area reservation, packaging in jute bags, sale of by-products like molasses, bagasse and ethanol.
Anil Shukla, Secretary-General, Sugar Technologists Association of India, estimates that India's sugar mills sell 70% of sugar to the food and beverage industry. The other 30% is sold to consumers.


For more see:


Photo: Cut sugarcane on a street in Kolkata, India via Wikipedia Commons.

Map: Sugarcane growing regions of India based on data from USDA/NOAA via AgriCorner.

About Margaret


CEO and Curator (The Food Museum) | Managing Director and Chief Editor (GR2 Global LLC) | Educator (UCLA PhD) | Researching and writing on global food issues, nutrition and health, sustainability, history (preservation), conservation (natural resources), and design.
View all posts by Margaret →

.

GR2's Pinterest Shareboard "Global View - Spectacular Spaces, Renewal Spaces"

Copyrights

©2009-2014 GR2 Global LLC

All photos used for general educational purposes and authors/owners given credit. Please send an email to info@gr2global.com to discuss any content or copyright issues.